Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Dumped.

"Hey Kylie."
I turned around.  Was Jake Cirino REALLY standing at my locker?
"Hey Jake, what's up?" I said, trying to act as normal as I could.
He gave me his blinding smile.  "What's up with YOU?" he asked.
"Not much.  How's the high school search going?"
"Eh, it's going.  We still haven't heard back from my first choice, and I don't find out about scholarships until April."
"We'll definitely miss you next year."
"Yeah, I'll miss you too.  There's just some people here I can't take going to school with anymore.  Rachel really wants me to go to Heights though."
"Rachel?  Who's Rachel?"
"My girlfriend.  She's in seventh grade at Pinewood."
WHAT?  Since when does Jake have a girlfriend?!?!?  "Oh, I didn't know you had a girlfriend," I said, trying to contain the shock and hurt I felt.
"Yeah, we've been together since last spring."
OH MY GOSH!!!  "I never knew that.  I thought when you broke up with Amanda, you'd been single since."
"Yeah, Rachel and I have been keeping it quiet."
"I've got to go now."
"Kylie, are you okay?"
"Yeah, I'm fine."
I was sure Jake had been single since he broke up with Amanda Cochran, who's in our grade at Pinewood.  I never really understood why he dated her.  She acts like she's about five years younger than us, and she's not even pretty.
Okay, maybe I'm just jealous.  Or maybe Hannah just didn't know about Rachel.  I asked her all about Jake the day after I started at school.
The day crawled by.  As soon as I got home, I logged onto Facebook.  "Jake Cirino.  Sex: Male.  Interested in: Women.  Relationship Status: In a Relationship with Rachel Phalen.  Anniversary: April 30, 2010.  Siblings: Luke Cirino.  Parents: Matt Cirino, Cassandra Cirino.  Hometown: University Heights, OH.  Birthday: May 27.  Political Views: Democratic Party.  Religious Views: Catholic/ Jewish."
I clicked on Rachel's name and decided to check out her profile.  Yeah, she's pretty.  Prettier than me....
Then it hit me.  Jake's dad is on the school board.  Rachel's mom is on the school board.  Amanda's dad is on the school board.
Does Jake only date other school board members' daughters?
People say that children of elected officials tend to clique with children of other elected officials.  I knew Jake's dad was on the school board, but he didn't seem like one of those.  I thought he was a nice guy.  Looks like he's like virtually any other politician's kid.  He wants a girl from another powerful family, not a nice girl.
Now I'm interrupted.
"Kylie, I need you to watch your sisters tonight," Simone told me.
"But it's Natalie's turn," I protested.
"The strings are practicing tonight for the big concert.  You know that."
"Fine, what about Hannah?"
"Hannah's going to Nicki's."
Of course I end up getting stuck at home with Kit and Molly fighting like cats and dogs and Helina and Sarah always needing to be fed the day I feel totally dumped.
I KNOW Jake belongs with me.  I just know it.
This Rachel Phalen girl will NOT last with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment