Friday, March 18, 2011

The ER (part 2 of 2)

I rolled over, not even sure where I was.  I just felt a hand gripping mine, that released it as soon as I moved.
Now I realized I was in the hospital.  At least I survived being hit by a car, right?  I mean, I had a headache and my back was stiff, but I WAS alive.
I still felt a hand on my back.  I looked and saw.
It was Jake.
"Hey," I said.
"Thank God you're okay," Jake said.  "I've already lost three family members this year.  I couldn't lose you too."
"I'm fine," I said.  "A little achy, but I'm fine."
The doctor came in.  "Hello, I need to ask you a few questions," he said.
"Go ahead," I said.
"What's your name?"
"Kylie."
"How old are you?"
"Thirteen."
"What state are we in?"
"Ohio."
"What year is it?"
"2011."
He held up a flashlight.  "Follow this," he said.
I followed.
"Good job.  Now, who's that young man?"
"That's Jake."
"Who is Jake?"
"He's one of my best friends."
"Lay off her," Jake said.  "Clearly, she's fine."
"I can tell," the doctor said.  "But we are going to keep her here overnight, just in case."
After he left, Jake said to me, "Do you feel okay?"
"As okay as I can," I said.  "I really appreciate you coming here.  Especially with Ricky out of town."
"When are you going to realize Ricky doesn't care about you in the way that I do?"
"What do you mean by that?"
"I mean, who's sitting with you in the hospital room?"
"That's not fair, Jake.  Ricky's in Boston with the band."
"Yeah, but Kylie, look.  I know you.  I know how awesome you are.  I clearly like you for who you are and I have some strange feeling Ricky's using you."
"Jake, I might have spinal surgery to worry about.  Can we not argue?  Should I get surgery?"
"I don't know.  Wait until the x-rays come back."
Of course, now all I can think to myself is "WHAT AM I THINKING?"  This is the guy I love.  This is who sits by my side in the hospital after one of the scariest experiences of my life.  This is who sees me better than anyone.  So why am I dating another guy, a guy who's two years older?  I guess it was because I was mad about Jake going to Loyola.
I try to change the pace of things.  "Jake, have I missed anything at school?
"Yeah, actually.  Today in choir we had to pick a song to express our feelings to someone and mine is for you."
"Okay, what about?"
"How I'm sorry about your accident and I care about you and I'll never let anyone hurt you again.  And I'll always support you."
What did that translate to?  "I want to be your boyfriend."  He didn't say that but that was what I concluded.

1 comment: