Saturday, February 26, 2011

Science Olympiad

Today we got up at 6 a.m. (WOO HOO! not) to go to the Northeast Ohio regional Science Olympiad competition.  We always have fun, but we never advance to States and the Roxbury (FKA Pinewood) kids always do.  (Then the district always gives them a huge showdown....)
We took the bus to the competition with the Mount Vernon kids.  So we had to get to Miramar SUPER EARLY, then picked up the Mount Vernon kids, then got to the Case Western Reserve University, where the competition was being held, with middle schoolers all throughout Northeast Ohio.
Jake and I were partners for forensics.  Things have been awkward for us during the last few days, so it was not easy being his partner.  To add to that, Rachel was one of Roxbury's representatives in the same event.
When I found out that Rachel would be competing against us in this event, I decided I would make sure we did well.
And we did.  We won the Forensics event, and Jake smiled at me.
It felt as if we were back on good terms.
I think I did well in my other events, too.  Actually, lots of the kids from Miramar did.  Maybe we had a shot at States.  (The top eight teams go to states.)
Before we were ready, we were sitting in the auditorium, waiting for them to announce who made the state team.
When the referee stepped up to make the announcement, my heart skipped a beat.
Eighth place was Solon Middle School.  Seventh place was Brady Middle School.  Sixth place was University School.  Fifth was Hawken School.  Fourth was Shaker Heights Middle School.  Third was Beachwood Middle School.  Second was Chagrin Falls Middle School.
"Oh my God!  Do you think we won?" I whispered.
"And in first place, winning this competition for the first time in the history of the event, the first ever regional champions from the CH-UH school district....."
Could it be?
"Roxbury Middle School!" Of course.  The school with the rich kids would win.  We were kidding ourselves to think we had a chance.
The Roxbury kids began cheering, jumping up and down and hugging each other.
I think every kid from Miramar was groaning.
"Congratulate them," Mrs. B-W told us.  "We do come from the same district and you'll all be together at Heights."
The Roxbury kids were still screaming and two kids were waving the trophy.
"And our alternate team for the state competition - Miramar Middle School."
"Hey, 9th out of over 30 teams.  Not bad," Jake said.  "Kylie, I really know I should congratulate Rachel, but I don't want to."
"I'll go with you," I said.
"So, how was your date with that guy from the high school?" Jake asked.
"It was fun," I said.  The truth was, I didn't really have fun.  I don't know if something's there for us.
I started walking over to the Roxbury kids with Jake.  The kids were still screaming as if they'd won the Olympics.
"Rachel," Jake said.  "Congratulations."
"Thanks, Jake," Rachel said.  For the first time ever, she smiled at me and said, "And thanks, Kylie."

No comments:

Post a Comment