Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Only Exception

Jake and I got together earlier today to practice our duet.  We went to his house, which is SO much quieter and cleaner than mine.  His parents are super nice and stay out of his business and he actually gets along with his brother who's three years younger.
All week I've been waiting for him to tell me that I'm his girlfriend.  But there's no way I can tell him about what I heard without revealing that I had snuck down to Loyola to spy on him.
After running through our duet a couple times we decided to sit down and take a break.  His dad made hot cocoa for us (we live in Ohio - even though it was warm out earlier this week) and we just chatted.
"We're getting better and better, I think," I said.
"Yeah," he said.  "We definitely are."
"So, how did choir tryouts go?" I asked, hoping he'd say what he said at the end of his song.
"I hope they went okay," he said.  "I already had my band tryout, and I have my tryouts for all my sports next week."
"I really wish you were coming to Heights."
"I just CAN'T go to Heights, Kylie.  I will miss you a lot next year, but we're friends.  We can still hang out.  Plus Miramar hasn't been good to me.  Lots of people have bullied me.  It's been a rough year.  We've had three family members die within eight months.  If I get into Loyola, it might make everything just... right for a while."
"Jake, I have something serious to ask you."  I gulped.
"Okay what?"
"Uhhhhhhhh........ do you think you'll seriously get in?"
"That's not what you were going to ask."
"You know me too well."
"Well, what WERE you going to ask?"
"Nothing."
"Yeah, right."
Then Jake's brother and his friend came into the kitchen.  "Hi Jake," the friend said.  "Is this your new girlfriend?"
"Uhhhhh..... this is Kylie," Jake said.  "Kylie, this is Will.  He's a friend of Luke's."
"Yeah, that's his new girlfriend," Luke said.
"Jake!" I gasped.
"Kylie, I'm not sure how I feel right now," Jake said when the little boys left.  "I don't know if I'm quite ready for a relationship yet.... but I am developing feelings for you."
"It's okay if you're unsure," I said.  "I definitely like you a lot, but I don't know if I'm ready for a boyfriend....."
Jake's dad came in.  "Kylie, Jake has soccer tryouts at Loyola soon.  Want me to drop you off at home?"
"Yeah, that would be great," I said.
As we drove home, I heard these lyrics on the radio:

And that was the day that I promised
I’d never sing of love 

If it does not exist
But darling
You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception

And I couldn't help think of me and Jake.

No comments:

Post a Comment