Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snow Day

It was five in the morning and the phone rang.  Four times.  I figured nobody was going to answer it so I just went and got it.
"Good morning.  All schools in the district are closed due to inclement weather."
"YES!" I said to myself, before heading back to bed.
At ten in the morning I was slapped in the face with a pillow.  I looked up, and there was Kit.  "Kylie, get up already!" she said.  "We got a snow day!"
"I know, I'm the one who answered the phone," I said.
"Well, we're pretty much locked inside," Kit said.  "Just look out there."
And I looked.  It was like a BLIZZARD.  NOBODY was outside.
So I figured I'd just go downstairs.  Natalie was practicing her violin, Molly was dancing on the dance pad and Hannah was reading a magazine.
"Look who finally got up," Molly said with a giggle.
"Yes I did," I told her.
"About time," Molly said.  "What were you dreaming about?  Jake?"
"Why are you even asking?" Kit said.  "OF COURSE she was dreaming about Jake!"
"Guys, don't worry about it," I said.
"We just know," Kit said.  Then she and Molly began singing a love song.
"Guys, stop it," I said.
"Kylie and Jake sitting in a tree.  K - I - S - S - I - N - G!  First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes the baby in the baby carriage!" Molly and Kit scream.
"Don't you two have anything better to do?" Natalie asked.
"Don't bother, Natalie," I said.  "Let them be little.  When they're older, they'll have guys they're absolutely crazy about, too."
I went upstairs to my room, but Hannah followed me.
"You okay?" she asked.
"Yeah," I said.  "But I can't remember the last time I had feelings this strong for someone.  Sometimes I still wish we were still little and things like guys weren't such a big issue."
"I know Jake likes you," Hannah said.  "And eventually, he will follow his heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment