Monday, February 21, 2011

Ricky

So, today I had off school.  I wanted to hang out with Jake and practice our duet (which always makes me feel over the moon), but he had baseball tryouts at Loyola.  So I went to a party the high school swim team was having a party for the end of the season.
I went with several of my friends and had fun.  Cannonball contests with the high school kids.  Games of Marco Polo and Red Light Green Light.  Snacking on pizza, chips and candy.
Then a guy pushed me into the pool.
I screamed when I fell in and looked up and saw a guy laughing.  He was tall and busty with shaggy dirty blond hair and blue eyes.
"Gotcha!" he said.
"Oh.  You're Ricky Houston.  You're the first Sectional champion Heights had in years.  100 Backstroke.  You're the concertmaster in the Heights High symphony," I said.
"Yup.  And you're Kylie Quantrell.  You're going to be singing the opening duet at Severance with Jake Cirino and first clarinet."
"How'd you know?"
"Oh, I keep close tabs on the eighth graders.  We try to find the perfect people for our team and let me tell you, I really hope you swim next year!"
"I'm definitely planning on swimming!"
"Great!  Hey, wanna get a soda?"
"Sure!"
We end up sitting by the side of the pool chatting and he says, "Hey Kylie, do you have a boyfriend?"
"Uh..... not right now.  Not really."
"What about Jake?"
"He's just a close friend."
"Have you ever had one?"
"Well, I took a guy to Winter Formal.... but he and I don't see each other anymore."
"Well.... how do I say this?  I've seen you a lot and I like you a lot.  Would you like to.... go out sometime?"
"Ricky, I just met you!"
"Come on!  You know better than to date that dorky school board member's son!"
"I don't know!"
"Here's my number," he said, handing me a piece of paper.  "Call me."
I shoved it into my bag.
"Kylie!"
"I didn't say no."
"Well, the offer's good until further notice."
All I can wonder is - is he another Graham?  I really don't know what to do.
My heart belongs to Jake.  But if his doesn't belong to me - maybe I should take a chance with someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment